[Snort-users] Snort Configurations

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Wed Sep 22 14:21:28 EDT 2010

On 9/22/2010 12:39, Greg Lane wrote:
> I’m starting to learn how to tune my Snort install and it is a slow process.  I
> have alerts like crazy because I know it needs to be tuned and I especially have
> a lot of http_inspect alerts coming up. I’ve been reading and from what I can
> gather if you don’t have a websever you may not really need this in operation or
> am I wrong?

the answer is "it depends"... it depends on if you want to monitor outbound http
traffic to possibly catch infestations on your network that are reporting in or
attacking remote http servers... you might also catch (and be able to prevent)
internal machines that are being redirected to driveby sites that would (attempt
to) load them with infestation materials...

> If I am wrong then what is the best possible solution for me to cut
> down most of the alerts which are false positives so to speak or aren’t
> dangerous at all? This will probably be one of many questions concerning configs
> coming to an email box near you.

false positives need to be reported to those who write those rules so they can
be looked into and adjusted if necessary...