[Snort-users] Rule performance profiling question

Alex Kirk akirk at ...1935...
Wed Sep 15 16:43:39 EDT 2010

Definitely turn off SID 7019 - that's for a Japanese P2P service that's
probably not on your network.

SID 14643 is something you'll want to consider more closely based on the
likelihood of being patched in your network. That said, your assessment of
performance there is correct - it's expensive for not a great deal of return
in your environment.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Andy Berryman <aberryman at ...14758...> wrote:

> Does this mean I should turn off this rule b/c of the amount of checks and
> zero alerts for it?
>

> Rule Profile Statistics (worst 100 rules)

>    Num      SID GID Rev     Checks   Matches    Alerts           Microsecs
> Avg/Check  Avg/Match Avg/Nonmatch
>
>    ===      === === ===     ======   =======    ======           =========
> =========  ========= ============
>
>      1     7019   3   5  234171143         0         0
> 80911378        0.3        0.0          0.3
>

> What about this one? Not as many checks, but it takes a while to check it
> each time.
>

> Rule Profile Statistics (worst 100 rules)

> Num      SID GID Rev     Checks   Matches    Alerts           Microsecs
> Avg/Check  Avg/Match Avg/Nonmatch
>
> ==      === === ===     ======   =======    ======           =========
> =========  ========= ============
>
> 76    14643   3   3      82610         0         0
> 4949758       59.9        0.0         59.9
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andy Berryman
>  ------------------------------
>  This message from Cymtec Systems, Inc. contains confidential information
> and is solely for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not
> the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this
> message in error and that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or
> use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this message in error, please destroy it immediately and notify
> Cymtec Systems, Inc. by telephone at +1.314.993.8700 or by return e-mail.

Alex Kirk
AEGIS Program Lead
Sourcefire Vulnerability Research Team
+1-410-423-1937