[Snort-users] Snort 2.9 Setup Guide

Andersen Klaus klaus.andersen at ...15018...
Wed Oct 20 08:05:32 EDT 2010

From: David Gullett [mailto:dgullett at ...13519...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:04 AM
To: snort-users
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort 2.9 Setup Guide

Hey, I posted a Snort 2.9 setup guide for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS last week.  For those that care, you can access the PDF here: http://www.symmetrixtech.com/articles/008-snortinstallguide290.html

Any complaints, suggestions, excoriations etc are welcomed and encouraged.  Randal, I bet you have a shot or two (seriously, just kidding...)

Regards,
David Gullett | Symmetrix Technologies
dgullett at ...13519...<mailto:dgullett at ...13519...>
106 N. Denton Tap Road, Suite 210-262 | Coppell, TX  75019

Hi David,

I ran into two problems when I followed the installation guide you published.

When I tested the installation snort exited with an error:

/usr/local/snort/bin/snort: error while loading shared libraries:

libsfbpf.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I found a forum post on this issue:

https://forums.snort.org/forums/snort-newbies/topics/libdnet-not-found

When I run the commands described there as root, (# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib, # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH) Snort initializes properly.

I have not found out how to make this change permanent, so any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

The second issue I had, was that Snortreport did not show any alerts, only a warning that said “No data”. I think you have helped other users with this error before cf. http://readlist.com/lists/lists.sourceforge.net/snort-users/1/7254.html When I followed the advice given here, Snort and Snortreport both work.

I installed Snort with Snortreport on a VM and only for testing purposes. So I did not do the "Setting up the network cards" part, nor configure the "rc.local" file to start Snort automatically. Otherwise I followed the installation guide step by step.

I also had a brief look at the new version of Snortreport on you demo site. I do not know how it compares to BASE in functionality or use, since I have not come around to installing BASE yet. I am going to test Snort with Snortreport more as I think it looks promising as a front end to snort.

Regards,

Klaus Andersen