[Snort-users] Duplicate downloaded rules

Lay, James james.lay at ...15009...
Tue Oct 19 11:27:44 EDT 2010

Ok...thanks again Jason.  Also....I guess there's something I do not
understand as it relates to ET & VRT rules.  As I understand it:

Snort VRT support 2.8.6.1 and 2.9.0

ET support 2.4-2.8.6

Is it just me or does this not make sense?  Why are ET rules even
bothering with unsupported versions of Snort, and not putting out rules
that are in line with supported versions of Snort?  I have to be
honest...from a home and business user, going from what used to be a
relatively easy rule management system, to what it is now has been
extremely time consuming and frustrating.  And, coming from someone who
has little knowledge of how the ET and VRT rulesets are
developed/maintained, I have to think that duplicate SID's seems to be
counterproductive.  I'll keep plodding along...thank you.

James