[Snort-users] Snort 2.9.0 ipvar unknown rule type

Danny Paul JDPAUL at ...14549...
Tue Oct 19 10:22:42 EDT 2010

Greetings,

I have just installed snort 2.9.0 on OpenSuSE 11.3. I'm attempting to
use the VRT certified rules, but I get the following error:

Parsing Rules file "rules/etc/snort.conf"
ERROR: rules/etc/snort.conf(39) Unknown rule type: ipvar.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

If I change "ipvar" back to "var", everything runs fine, but I want to
remain compatible with future versions, and var will be deprecated at
some point.

The OpenSuSE installation is brand new, `snort -V` reports "Version
2.9.0 (Build 68) i386." I'm using libpcap version 1.1.1 and PCRE version
7.9. I think this must be a bug because I cannot seem to find anything
else wrong.

Is anyone else having the same problem?