[Snort-users] Duplicate downloaded rules

Weir, Jason jason.weir at ...14916...
Tue Oct 19 10:19:21 EDT 2010

ET and VRT are publishing duplicate rules.

Read the "The New Rulesets are Ready!!" thread here

http://lists.emergingthreats.net/pipermail/emerging-sigs/2010-October/th
read.html

Not sure if you use Oinkmaster but I posted a solution in that thread.

-J

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Lay, James [mailto:james.lay at ...15009...]
	Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:05 AM
	To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
	Subject: [Snort-users] Duplicate downloaded rules

	I sent this to snort-sigs a few days ago, but it got moderated
into oblivion.  Here's a pruned down one in hopes it will make it:

	I am seeing the below with grabbing these rulesets:

	Downloading file from
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapsh
ot-2900.tar.gz

	Downloading file from
http://rules.emergingthreats.net/open/snort-2.8.6/emerging.rules.tar.gz

	WARNING: duplicate SID in downloaded archive, SID=498, only
keeping rule with highest 'rev'

	WARNING: duplicate SID in downloaded archive, SID=494, only
keeping rule with highest 'rev'

	WARNING: duplicate SID in downloaded archive, SID=495, only
keeping rule with highest 'rev'

	WARNING: duplicate SID in downloaded archive, SID=497, only
keeping rule with highest 'rev'

	<snip> many more of these

	WARNING: duplicate SID in downloaded archive, SID=1666, only
keeping rule with highest 'rev'

	WARNING: duplicate SID in downloaded archive, SID=1988, only
keeping rule with highest 'rev'

	WARNING: duplicate SID in downloaded archive, SID=1989, only
keeping rule with highest 'rev'

	A grand total of 409 dup messages are seen even as of this
morning.  Maybe this one will make it through...

	James