[Snort-users] Snort 2.9, RHEL 5 and afpacket DAQ

Ralf Spenneberg ralf at ...8096...
Tue Oct 19 04:23:59 EDT 2010

Hi Michael,

here you go.
Using
# snort --daq afpacket --daq-var buffer_size_mb=50 --daq-var debug

I get:
Commencing packet processing (pid=9750)
Decoding Ethernet
Version: 0
Header Length: 32
AFPacket Layout:
  Frame Size: 1584
  Frames:     33098
  Block Size: 4096
  Blocks:     16549
ERROR: Can't start DAQ (-1) - create_rx_ring: Couldn't create kernel RX
ring on packet socket: Cannot allocate memory!
Fatal Error, Quitting..

on RHEL 5.

snort --daq pcap --daq-var buffer_size=128000000
using libpcap-1.1.1 works (at least runs)
I still have to confirm somehow that the buffer is created and used.

By the way. Using 48M works too:
# snort --daq afpacket --daq-var buffer_size_mb=48 --daq-var debug
Decoding Ethernet
Version: 0
Header Length: 32
AFPacket Layout: