[Snort-users] FP's with sid:17239 - IMAP Alt-N MDaemon IMAP server CREATE command buffer overflow attempt

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Tue Oct 12 16:29:38 EDT 2010

I had one person write me off-list telling me that the rule had not been rev'd.  However, your domain is rejecting emails from our domain.

I redownloaded the rulepack and verified the rule is at rev:2.

Joel

On Oct 12, 2010, at 1:20 PM, Eoin Miller wrote:

>  alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"IMAP Alt-N MDaemon
> IMAP server CREATE command buffer overflow attempt";
> flow:to_server,established; content:" CREATE "; nocase;
> isdataat:180,relative; pcre:"/^[^\r\n]{180}/R"; metadata:policy
> balanced-ips drop, policy security-ips drop, service imap;
> reference:bugtraq,14315; classtype:attempted-dos; sid:17239; rev:1;)
>
> I really can't believe this signature, it seems like it would trigger
> WAY to often. Anyone else getting a lot of hits with this?
>
> -- Eoin

Joel Esler
302-223-5974