[Snort-users] Snort 2.9.0 Now Available

Michael Altizer xiche at ...3147...
Fri Oct 8 13:18:09 EDT 2010

  On 10/08/2010 11:47 AM, Crook, Parker wrote:
> [TRIM]
> Argh! Certainly not here, I just had to build a new build environment to get it all running; the irony is not lost on me, nor is the frustration.  So, now that I know it can be done on Debian, I am turning back to my old build environment wondering why/where it went wrong.  I had libdnet-1.11, libpcap-1.1.1 and went to town on daq-0.2 so I could get snort-2.9.0 up and running in my test environment.  So running ./configure for daq, I get the following error (last 5 lines of output below):
>
> 	checking whether the f77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
> 	checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
> 	(cached) (cached) checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
> 	./configure: line 19179: syntax error near unexpected token `AC_SF_COMPILER_SETUP'
> 	./configure: line 19179: `AC_SF_COMPILER_SETUP()'
>
> Google turns up a bunch of cricket chirps and so I put it to the Sourcefire guys... any clues?

It looks like you reran autoconf on a system where it doesn't support
including a directory for m4 files (it should have spit out some nasty
warnings at you).  The AC_SF_COMPILER_SETUP autoconf macro is
precompiled into the configure script distributed with the DAQ tarball
and defined in m4/sf.m4 for when you need to recompile configure from
configure.ac.  In short, if you run the configure that comes with the
DAQ tarball you should not encounter this error.

-Michael