[Snort-users] snort-2.9.0 on RHEL5

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Fri Oct 8 00:34:26 EDT 2010

On 10/8/2010 00:08, Jason Haar wrote:
>   Hi there
>
> So far snort pre-2.9 has compiled just fine on RHEL5 systems, but with
> the new requirement for libpcap-1.0, that is no longer the case. We'll
> have to port that from Fedora or something.

there's nothing to port, really... you should be able to grab the libpcap
sources from www.tcpdump.net (IIRC) and go from there... that's what i did in
this custom environment i'm working in... i did have some other mess to deal
with trying to get thru this but i was finally successful... and after all of
that, i still can't test 2.9.0 in my environment because of the below...

> Has anyone done that yet, and are there any war-stories about it killing
> tcpdump or any other app that depended on pre-1.0 libpcap? Do they all
> need to be recompiled too?

that's what i've been wondering since my foray into 2.9.0... tcpdump, iftop, and
ppp are at least three that are built against libpcap... i'm looking at the
war-stories boat same as you because i definitely cannot loose my PPP DSL
connection to some stupid library snafu :?