[Snort-users] EOL for Snort 2.8.5.3 and Snort 2.8.6.0 rules reminder

Mike Lococo mikelococo at ...11827...
Mon Oct 4 18:07:14 EDT 2010

> Support for Snort 2.8.5.3 rules will cease on October 22nd.
>
> With the release of Snort 2.9, support for Snort 2.8.6.0 rules will end
> 90 days from today, that is Jan 2nd 2011.

Really?  A 90-day upgrade window?  According to the VRT rules EOL
policy, the current and prior major releases will be supported [1]:

> Major Release: Change in the first or second decimal of the version
> number. Examples: Version 2.0 to 3.0, Version 2.8 to 2.9
> Prior Version: The *major* release previous to the current
> production release with the highest minor and patch releases

While the emphasis on the word "major" is mine, the document is specific
about what that means.  Based on that language, I would expect that
2.8.final would be supported until 3.0 or 2.10 are released.  Of course,
the February "current" examples aren't actually consistent with the
statement, listing a "previous" version instead of a "prior" version,
which is one *minor* revision behind, instead of one major revision behind.

I see the policy was updated in Feb, but don't know what it looked like
prior.  Are these recent changes, policies which weren't enforced until
recently, or long-standing policies that I've simply never noticed?

Regards,
Mike Lococo

[1] http://www.snort.org/vrt/rules/eol_policy