[Snort-users] issues with Snort report 1.3&VRT rules&ET rules&threshold.conf

Jun Wan junwei_wan at ...125...
Tue Nov 30 19:02:37 EST 2010

Hi,

BASE is not maintained, as well as it's lack of docs, so I choose Snort Report (SR).  I have got lots of help from David Gullett, David has done a wonderful job,  thanks David.

Two issues on Snort2.8.6.0 with SR 1.3 are very strange, I thought you guys may be interested to know, please see the followings:

1.) If I do following commands:

sudo /usr/local/snort/bin/snort -D -u snort -g snort -c /usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -i eth0
sudo /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /usr/local/snort/etc/barnyard2.conf -G /usr/local/snort/etc/gen-msg.map -S /usr/local/snort/etc/sid-msg.map -d /var/log/snort -f snort.u2 -w /var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo

The results: the activated rules on emerging.conf and settings on threshold.conf are not working, but the SR is working, snort is running with VRT rules only (not running ET rules&threshold.conf )

2.) or If I do the following command:

 sudo /usr/local/snort/bin/snort -u snort -g snort -c /usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -i eth1 -A console

The results: the activated rules on emerging.conf and settings on threshold.conf are working, but the SR is not working (no data), and snort is running with VRT rules and ET rules and threshold.conf .

Same issues happen to Snort 2.9.0 with SR1.3.

I would like to solve these issues before I put Snort 2.8.6 &2.9.0 with SR 1.3 into our live network.

Any information/idea/direction would be highly appreciated.

Regards

John