[Snort-users] Linux recommendations

Eoin Miller eoin.miller at ...14586...
Tue Nov 9 12:57:13 EST 2010

On 11/9/2010 4:16 PM, Castle, Shane wrote:
> I have been using RHEL5 x86_64 quite well up until the last batch of
> Snort upgrades, starting with 2.8.6.1, when RHEL5 was no longer a viable
> platform (the SnortSam mods were the first issue, and then there was
> 2.9.0). I know, there are additions that can be made to RHEL5 to make
> 2.9.0/2.9.0.1 work, but then the "just run yum" feature no longer will
> work for the mods, and SnortSam's requirements with the whole
> autoconf/libtool issue mean that I can't use RHEL5 at all. So, unless I
> want to hold out for RHEL6, I have to start looking for a Linux platform
> replacement.
>
> The hardware I'm using is a 4-core Intel Xeon 3.20GHz, 8GB, and a RAID 0
> disk arrangement. I've been eying Fedora 14, but it is really geared
> more toward the desktop world than the server world.
>
> So, what recommendations can I solicit from the Snort user community?
>
> --
> Shane Castle
> Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT
> CISSP GSEC GCIH

We like Ubuntu Server LTS, current is 10.04:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

Nice thing about Ubuntu LTS is the five year release cycle. More info here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Server/TechSpecs/1004LTS

It is nice to know that you aren't going to have to do full OS upgrades
every year or so.

-- Eoin