[Snort-users] zlib and 2.8.6 problem on Ubuntu 8.04

Alex Manchester amanchester at ...11827...
Tue May 11 11:24:27 EDT 2010

John,
Look for a zlibg1-dev. That program should install the headers needed for
--enable-zlib. Additionally just before running the ./configure
--enable-glib, run ./configure -h. This will give you a list of all
configure options. After I ran the --enable-zlib option, I ran into other
snort.conf issues with regards to barnyard2 and I resolved those by adding a
few other --enable options, specifically --enable-gre, --enable-targetbased,
and --enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules. I probably did not need them all
but I was finally able to get snort running with barnyard2 and base.
Eventually, I may experiment with the configure options and see what exactly
I need and can do without.
Hopefully, this info helps in resolving your issue.

Alex

- -----Original Message-----
From: John York [mailto:YorkJ at ...7109...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:23 AM
To: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: [Snort-users] zlib and 2.8.6 problem on Ubuntu 8.04

I'm having trouble upgrading from 2.8.5.3 to 2.8.6.  Snort errors out,
ERROR: /usr/local/etc/snort/snort.conf(200) => Invalid keyword
'compress_depth' for 'global' configuration.

I found the earlier thread suggesting adding --enable-zlib to the
./configure command, which I did.  I still have the same problem.  The
output from configure shows, in part:
checking zlib.h usability... no
checking zlib.h presence... no
checking for zlib.h... no

Ubuntu has zlibg1, not good enough I guess.  So, I installed zlib-1.2.5 into
the default location /usr/local/zlib.  The same problem remains in both
configure and snort.  I tried adding zlib to the path, no luck.  I can get
snort to run be commenting out compress_depth, decompress_depth and
inspect_gzip from the http preprocessor statements, but it would be good to
get it fixed.

Where should I install zlib so that configure can find it, or how do I tell
configure where to find zlib?

Thanks
John

-