[Snort-users] Distro of choice

IT Security itsecurity at ...14863...
Wed May 5 07:58:17 EDT 2010

Bryan Irvine wrote:
> YMMV but I ran it on OpenBSD for many years with a postgres backend.

Same here (except we used MySQL as the backend). Works great from ports
or compiled from source. There are limitations when using Snort on
OpenBSD (especially when compared to Linux and IPS mode, etc.), but if
you only want a plain IDS, then it's a fabulously stable platform.

My advice would be to go with what you know. Any free *nix is a good
choice, with the most features found on Linux systems.