[Snort-users] Snort Deployment

Kum Weng Luey kumwengluey at ...11827...
Mon May 3 23:20:40 EDT 2010

Thanks for the insights. I guess what I would really want is to monitor what
actually passes the firewall security and into the internal network.

Having my bosses are skeptical about snort and are doing their best to put
me down. I am only given a old P4 computer with a small HDD.

Therefore the only logical and economical way is to have spanned a port that
traverse between the core-switch router and the firewall and having the
other interface sending the mysql data out.

Questions:

1. Do I have to put an ip address on the interface connected to the spanned
port?
2. What might the impact be on the core-switch in terms of load and
processing power?
3. What might be some of the problems that I could face that might impeed
the detection of threats?

Thank you guys for all the help

Regards,
KW