[Snort-users] Can snort run on bare-metal vm or a virtual machine ?

Matt Olney molney at ...1935...
Tue Mar 30 08:48:41 EDT 2010

Kum,

ER...sure it will run on some pretty crappy hardware.  Just know that
your detection capability will be impacted if you run on a sub-spec'd
machine.  Memory is required for the fast-pattern matcher, frag3 and
stream5.  Horsepower dictates the number of rules you can run and
still maintain sufficient throughput to provide detection.  This
balance is environment specific, so the best thing you can do is fire
it up and start testing.

Matt