[Snort-users] Note to Snort users using Gentoo Linux

Thu Mar 25 14:31:29 EDT 2010

Hi,

As Gentoo users probably noticed, back around the 2.4 time frame the
Snort ebuild unfortunately fell to the wayside. Around the
snort-2.8.4.1 release I picked up maintenance of this ebuild and we
have been keeping the release to portage pretty close to the official
Snort release, usually about a weeks lag time. Prior to submitting any
new Snort ebuilds to the Gentoo Dev's I run some acceptance testing
with a group of volunteers. If you want to get in on this testing
phase contact me off the list and I'll add you to the group.

Also, in case you haven't noticed yet, the current version of
Barnyard2 is now also in portage, and PulledPork and Hogger will be
arriving shortly. The PulledPork ebuild is ready, I'm just waiting for
the next tarball release since I think that will happen soon. Hogger
will probably be submitted to the Dev's next week.

Feel free to contact me if you have
questions/comments/complaints/requests related to the Snort ebuild or
the ebuilds for any of the apps supporting Snort.

Thanks for your time,
Wally