[Snort-users] Multiple snorts on its own cpu core?

Chan, Wilson wchan at ...14702...
Thu Mar 18 17:40:34 EDT 2010

What does this do?  "schedtool -M 2 -p 10 $PID" Is this really needed?

>From some quick reading it seems that using "schedtool -a 0x01 $PID" should do the trick for locking the snort pid to cpu1.

==Schedtool man parameters==
-M policy
    for manual/raw mode; policy is the number of the scheduling policy (see above for 0-4). This option is mostly for kernel guys that want to test their new implementations.
-p prio
    specify static priority required for SCHED_FIFO and SCHED_RR. Usually ranged from 1-99.

Wilson Chan

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Bjarte Fjellskål [mailto:edward.fjellskal at ...14590...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:59 PM
To: Chan, Wilson
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Multiple snorts on its own cpu core?

Chan, Wilson wrote:
> How do you run each instance of snort on its own CPU core? I have a
> server that has 8 cores and vaguely remember someone on the list
> mentioning it was possible to run snort on its own core. Thanks!

Hi Chan Wilson,
A basic way of doing this, is shown here (Linux):

----8<----
#!/bin/bash
PIDFILE="/var/run/snort_eth1.pid"

if [ -r $PIDFILE  ] && [ -s $PIDFILE ];then
    PID=`cat $PIDFILE`
    schedtool $PID
    schedtool -a 0x01 $PID
    schedtool -M 2 -p 10 $PID
    schedtool $PID
else
    echo "No pid file, or empty pidfile! - exit!"
fi
----8<----

Depending on your multi-setup, you should add some logic to
check for which snort instance you run, and pin that to a
different cpu 0x02 etc...

Read up on schedtool... there are some other tools that
you also can use for doing the same.

I also wrote this in my recent blogpost:
http://www.gamelinux.org/?p=81

But ill add the details shown here :)

Regards,
ebf0