[Snort-users] Multiple snorts on its own cpu core?

Eoin Miller eoin.miller at ...14586...
Wed Mar 17 23:35:47 EDT 2010

The most graceful, but expensive way, is that you will want to get a tap
or card that is capable of splitting the traffic into multiple streams
without losing session. The taps/cards will hash the header of the IP
packet and using that algorithm will always deliver every packet of that
TCP/UDP session to the same stream. Look into VSS Monitoring for doing
it through a tap or Napatech/Endace for doing it through the card. I
like the Napatech cards because they allow you to split the traffic into
up to 32 streams so you can run 32 instances of Snort if you wanted to
and they are super easy to configure.

The challenge is getting all the alerting output to go back into a
single database for use. I configure snort to roll over the unified2
output once it reaches a 1mb file in size and I have a perl script
monitor the snort output directory and process the files through
barnyard2 and shove them into our sguil database.

-- Eoin