[Snort-users] Quick question about so_rules. I tried searching first......

Joel Esler joel.esler at ...14399...
Tue Mar 16 18:50:42 EDT 2010

Andy,

I suggest that you use PulledPork for generating SO rules.  It will make your life much easier than trying to do it manually.

Joel

http://code.google.com/p/pulledpork/

On Mar 16, 2010, at 5:38 PM, Andy Berryman wrote:

> I tried pulling up the archives, but it's saying it's not activated?
>

> Anyway, I'm trying to wrap my head around so_rules and thought I was in the clear, but just want to double check.
>
> If we download the subscription release from url = http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/oinkcode/snortrules-snapshot-2.8_s.tar.gz and untar it and use the FC-5 rule set, do we still need to generate the stub rules? I'm reading this document, and it's got me confused a little. http://www.snort.org/snort-rules/about-so_rules
>

> If I "cat /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule/bad-traffic.so" I get all kinds of gooble-gook on my screen as the rules scroll by. I'm assuming its b/c they are in programming code.
>
> But, if I go to /usr/local/etc/snort/so_rules and cat bad-traffic.rules, I see actual rules scroll by like this one:
> alert ip any any -> any any (msg:"BAD-TRAFFIC Windows remote kernel tcp/ip igmp vulnerability exploit attempt"; sid:13287; gid:3; rev:3; classtype:attempted-admin; reference:cve,2007-0069; reference:url,www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-001.mspx; metadata: engine shared, soid 3|13287;)
>

> So, does this mean my rules and rule stubs are being generated correctly?
>
> Or since we are using the precompiled FC-5 rules, do I even need to worry about them being generated? Do, I just need to make sure my snort_dynamicrule directory is there and the so_rules are there from the FC-5 so_rules directory?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy Berryman

Joel Esler
http://blog.joelesler.net