[Snort-users] Anyone having problems with Oinkmaster getting 404 error?

Nigel Houghton nhoughton at ...1935...
Thu Mar 11 11:24:55 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Andy Berryman <aberryman at ...14758...> wrote:
> I'm sure I'm typing in the link wrong, but it worked last week when I did
> this. I'm getting a 404 error when Oinkmaster runs on one of my test boxes.
>

> Downloading file from
> http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz...
>
> ./oinkmaster.pl: Error: could not download from
> http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz.
> Output from wget follows:
>

>  http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz
>
> Resolving www.snort.org... 68.177.102.20 Connecting to
> www.snort.org|68.177.102.20|:80... connected.
>
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
>
> Location:
> http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz?oink_code=removed
> [following]
>
> --2010-03-11 10:05:53--
> http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz?oink_code=removed
>
> Resolving dl.snort.org... 68.177.102.34
>
> Connecting to dl.snort.org|68.177.102.34|:80... connected.
>
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
>
> 2010-03-11 10:05:53 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andy Berryman
>

> ________________________________
> This message from Cymtec Systems, Inc. contains confidential information and
> is solely for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the
> intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in
> error and that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
> contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> message in error, please destroy it immediately and notify Cymtec Systems,
> Inc. by telephone at +1.314.993.8700 or by return e-mail.

Looks like you are trying to download the registered rules. As a
registered user you can only download the rules once in a 15 minute
period. Try again in 20 minutes.

However, if you are an integrator, you should probably have a
subscription and you should be pulling the subscription rule set which
has no such limitation.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist