[Snort-users] whitelist rule to 1 ip?

Crook, Parker Parker_Crook at ...14786...
Wed Mar 3 08:10:54 EST 2010

Morgan,

Sorry, it's early in the morning, but I'll run through the two polar opposites of blacklisting (suppression) and whitelisting of rules:

Blacklist - say I want to stop receiving alerts on sig_id 466 coming from 192.168.5.33; in the threshold file, I would put the following line:

suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 466, track by_dst, ip 192.168.5.33

Whitelist - say I only want to trigger alert 466 when it goes to 192.168.5.33; I would disable the alert (via pulledpork, so when I get rules updates it doesn't get re-enabled), and copy the contents over to my local.rules file, changing the destination from $HOME_NET to 192.168.5.33, so that the rule looked as follows:

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> 192.168.5.33 any (msg:"ICMP L3retriever Ping"; icode:0; itype:8; content:"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWABCDEFGHI"; depth:32; reference:arachnids,311; classtype:attempted-recon; sid:466; rev:5;)

I hope this is what you are asking; if not, let me know,

Parker

  _____