[Snort-users] [Snort-sigs] Update your oinkmaster/pulled_pork conf files

infosec posts infosec.posts at ...11827...
Tue Jun 29 10:11:38 EDT 2010

I was using this URL in my update scripts:

wget http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/$oink_code/snortrules-snapshot-2853_s.tar.gz

Now I'm getting this:
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/$oink_code/snortrules-snapshot-2853_s.tar.gz
Resolving www.snort.org... 68.177.102.20
Connecting to www.snort.org|68.177.102.20|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2010-06-29 08:46:33 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Did the URL above get broken, too?

Since that didn't work I tried:
wget http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2853.tar.gz/$oink_code

but that redirected to an SSL connection with Amazon, which isn't open
on my firewall from the machine in question.

So,  I went to another machine and tried
wget http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2853.tar.gz/$oink_code
wget http://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2853_s.tar.gz/$oink_code

Both of which are giving me 403: Forbidden.

Are the 2.8.5.3 URLs no longer supported?
Is the "15-minute rule" being imposed by oink code now instead of connecting IP?
Is the '_s' filename still in use to distinguish subscriber packs from
non-subscribers?

(Note: Obviously, my actual oinkmaster code has been sanitized to
'$oink_code' in everything above.)