[Snort-users] Useful logging of performance statistics

Crook, Parker Parker_Crook at ...14786...
Wed Jun 23 08:45:33 EDT 2010

Wally,

Thanks for the reply -- I guess I should have been a little clearer in my original post:  the definitions I list here are the custom definitions, I am still using the default logging facilities as well, ie:
        destination df_auth { file("/var/log/auth.log"); };
        destination df_syslog { file("/var/log/syslog"); };
        .
...along with the filters and logs.  Snort_notice only contains logs from Snort; however it contains what seems to be all information from starting and stopping Snort, whereas I am looking for a way to log the rule & preproc performance stats to a separate file.  I tried setting up a filter for syslog-ng, but the problem is that the information gets logged line by line, and threw off my plan of setting up a regex filter.

My intent in asking this question would be: does anyone else have a mechanism to log this info in an easily accessible place?  If not, is there a good way to accomplish it (I thought about a series of regex filters inside of syslog-ng, but after I started bashing out a 'solution' I stepped back and thought, 'those are some seriously ugly pcre's' and there has got to be a better way)?  And of course, is anybody else using this form of logging for to acquire information on rule performance in their environment?  I have found it terribly useful.

-Parker

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Wallace [mailto:jason.r.wallace at ...11827...]
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:01 PM
To: Crook, Parker
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Useful logging of performance statistics

If the goal is to only have snort logs in those files then I do not
think what you have will work. That would result in log files with all
info logs, including system logs, in snort_info, all warn logs in
snort_warn...etc. You need to add something to to the filters to tell
it them you want those levels but only for snort related logs. I'm not
in front of my box right now but I think (from memory) you might be
looking for the "match" statement...or "program" might work.

Wally