[Snort-users] Suricata 0.9.2 RC3 Released

Randal T. Rioux randy at ...13561...
Fri Jun 18 23:24:40 EDT 2010

On 06/18/2010 03:34 PM, Matt Jonkman wrote:
> On 6/18/10 2:25 PM, Randal T. Rioux wrote:
>> As much as I enjoy the (unnecessary and redundant (pardon the political
>> jab)) Dept. of Homeland Security money hemorrhaging machine reinventing
>> the wheel, I question whether advertising on the Snort owned lists is
>> appropriate. I don't believe I've seen Sourcefire sending out their
>> announcements on the ET/OISF or on other competing product venues.
>
> Hey Randal. We're not competing. We announce here because we were asked
> to, and because we have a reciprocal agreement with SF, they announce on
> our lists.

Randal, one L. Fixed it ;-)

"Competing" was the wrong word. In fact, I can't even think of the right
word. Consider that moot.

I wasn't aware you had a reciprocal agreement with SF.

> It's just a release announcement for a complimentary tool. Not
> advertisement. It's all free software!

Word.

>> Matt, much love to you - ET rocks and I'm sure Suricata will turn out to
>> be very cool stuff. Just try not to irritate those that paved the way
>> and those who may not be interested. Unfortunately, mailing lists don't
>> offer an "opt-out" option for advertisements. Which is why most mailing
>> lists ban advertisements :-)
>>
> I love you too man!  :)
>
> But again, it's not advertising. And it's far less than once a month.
> Every other tool in the ids field puts release announcements up without
> issue. Why do you see us as different? It's gpl. It's IDS. It's snort
> syntax. :)

No, myself and others with similar ornery dispositions have given crap
to others in the past as well. Don't feel targeted!

Randy