[Snort-users] Suricata 0.9.2 RC3 Released

Matt Jonkman jonkman at ...4024...
Fri Jun 18 15:34:12 EDT 2010

On 6/18/10 2:25 PM, Randal T. Rioux wrote:
> As much as I enjoy the (unnecessary and redundant (pardon the political
> jab)) Dept. of Homeland Security money hemorrhaging machine reinventing
> the wheel, I question whether advertising on the Snort owned lists is
> appropriate. I don't believe I've seen Sourcefire sending out their
> announcements on the ET/OISF or on other competing product venues.

Hey Randall. We're not competing. We announce here because we were asked
to, and because we have a reciprocal agreement with SF, they announce on
our lists.

It's just a release announcement for a complimentary tool. Not
advertisement. It's all free software!

> Matt, much love to you - ET rocks and I'm sure Suricata will turn out to
> be very cool stuff. Just try not to irritate those that paved the way
> and those who may not be interested. Unfortunately, mailing lists don't
> offer an "opt-out" option for advertisements. Which is why most mailing
> lists ban advertisements :-)

I love you too man!  :)

But again, it's not advertising. And it's far less than once a month.
Every other tool in the ids field puts release announcements up without
issue. Why do you see us as different? It's gpl. It's IDS. It's snort
syntax. :)

Thanks

Matt

> Randy