[Snort-users] [Snort-devel] Suricata 0.9.2 RC3 Released

Matt Jonkman jonkman at ...4024...
Fri Jun 18 10:53:07 EDT 2010

Hi Chris, I understand your point of view. But we're not competing, this
isn't a product we're putting out to sell.

The intent with Suricata is to advance the art, and the snort/emerging
threats community is the center of the state of this art.

We have welcomed SF to do their announcements on the ET and OISF lists,
which they do. It's by mutual friendly arrangement. This isn't a
competitive arrangement.

As for responding to problems with "We can do that better," I think
that'd be extremely annoying. Because Suricata is a brand new codebase,
is multithreaded, and is bringing in a laundry list of new features, we
could reply to most problem reports with "suricata does that" or
"suricata fixed that bug already". I think that'd piss everyone off. :)

Again, I understand your initial reaction. It's an unusual situation
here, but we're not a single minded or single project community here. We
have front ends, backends, rule managers, the whole gambit that exist
and are discussed here. This is a security community, not a single
project only community.

Matt

On 6/18/10 10:45 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Matt Jonkman wrote:
>
>> The OISF development team is proud to announce Suricata 0.9.2 / RC3, the
>> Open Source Intrusion Detection and Prevention engine. We're working
>> towards our first stable release, currently scheduled for July 1st 2010.
>
> I'm slightly annoyed that you're advertising this on the Snort mailing
> list. As far as I can tell it's a competing product/project. I think it's
> considered a bit rude to try and steal another project's users and
> contributors by sending generic announcements and advertising for
> unrelated projects.
>
> On the other hand, if you were responding to user queries by saying,
> accurately, "Snort can't do that, but try OISF at http://...", I think
> that would be OK, as it's actually contributing to the forum by helping
> users.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

Matthew Jonkman
Emerging Threats