[Snort-users] false positive rules in snort 2.8.6.0

Will Metcalf william.metcalf at ...11827...
Fri Jun 4 16:28:21 EDT 2010

Ummmm so what is happening is that these rules are written to
fingerprint a protocol.  If I remember correctly dropping the traffic
identified by these sigs isn't enough to cripple e-mule.  Detection !=
Prevention...  Another example.. fire up a sniffer and and use a tcp
session splicing attack in InlineMode() against a target...  By the
time snort does reassembly the packets have already gone across the
wire.

Regards,

Will