[Snort-users] preprocessor sensitive_data (snort 2.8.6.0)

Ryan Jordan ryan.jordan at ...1935...
Fri Jun 4 10:17:19 EDT 2010

If you're getting a lot of false positives, there's a few things you can do.

1) Turn up the threshold on that particular rule. Sensitive Data rule
have the "sd_pattern" option in them. It works like this:

sd_pattern:<count>,<pattern>

The <count> part specifies how many instances of the pattern you need
to see before an alert gets generated. This counter is used per TCP
stream, not packet.

2) Restrict the ports on which you're running the noisy rule.

3) Disable the rule. "U.S. Social Security Numbers (w/out dashes)" in
particular is very prone to false positives. It was provided
separately from the other SSN rule so that you could turn it off
individually.