[Snort-users] difficulity configureing libnet

Chamila Garusinghe chamilagarusinghe at ...1396...
Thu Jul 29 19:17:17 EDT 2010

Dear All,

I wanted to install all the necessary requirement libraries before installing Snort.
managed to install
Libcap, pcre and Barnyarde.
however, have a difficulty configuring libnet.

I have followed the guideline document (readme.txt).
I have created a port.mak file in the base directory and copied and pasted text from linux.mak file in the the makfiles directory.

port.mak file has the following text

# Portability makefile -- helper for other makefiles

# Linux version

TARGET = LINUX

LIBDEST = /usr/local/lib/$(LIBFILENAME)
INCDEST = /usr/local/include/$(INCNAME)
EXE_SUFFIX =
RM_F = rm -f
CP_F = cp -f

CC = gcc
WARNING_FLAGS = -Wall -Werror -Wno-unused -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
LDLIBS = -lpthread
LINK_ALLEGRO = `allegro-config --libs`
ARFLAGS = rs

LIBNAME = net
LIBFILENAME = lib$(LIBNAME).a
INCNAME = libnet.h
LIBDIR = $(BASE)/lib
LIBSRC = $(LIBDIR)/$(LIBFILENAME)
INCDIR = $(BASE)/include
INCSRC = $(INCDIR)/$(INCNAME)

error was as follow

root at ...14948...:~/snort/libnet# make
make -C lib/ lib
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/snort/libnet/lib'
gcc -O2 -Wall -Werror -Wno-unused -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -g -I../include -Iinclude -DTARGET_LINUX   -c -o core/config.o core/config.c
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
core/config.c: In function â__libnet_internal__seek_sectionâ:
core/config.c:87: error: ignoring return value of âfgetsâ, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
core/config.c: In function â__libnet_internal__get_settingâ:
core/config.c:111: error: ignoring return value of âfgetsâ, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
make[1]: *** [core/config.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/snort/libnet/lib'
make: *** [lib] Error 2

 I am running Ubuntu 2.6
I am very new to Linux and this is very difficult for me to figure it out and what to next...
any thoughts very much appreciated

Many Thanks
Chamila