[Snort-users] Rule efficiency

Isherwood, Jeffrey - IS Jeffrey.Isherwood at ...14632...
Fri Jul 23 13:38:53 EDT 2010

I'm on the lookout for some traffic to several domains that I have been asked to monitor... and I'm wondering which is more efficient, several rules that each only look for a domain name - or one rule that looks for many domain names at once?

Currently I'm doing the one at a time method, but the list of domains I need to monitor just quadrupled and I am unsure which would be more efficient...

Examples:
alert tcp any any -> any any (content:"baddomain.com"; nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic alert baddomain.com "; classtype:string-detect; sid:1000422; gid:1; rev:1; )

alert tcp any any -> any any (content:"crappydomain.com"; nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic alert crappydomain.com"; classtype:string-detect; sid:1000340; gid:1; rev:1; )

alert tcp any any -> any any (content:" shoulndtubworking.com "; nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic alert shoulndtubworking.com"; classtype:string-detect; sid:1000420; gid:1; rev:1; )

alert tcp any any -> any any (content:"wasteoftime.net"; nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic alert wasteoftime.net"; classtype:string-detect; sid:1000409; gid:1; rev:1; )

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.