[Snort-users] Reload via Signal HUP does not work if you aren't root or are chroot

Todd Wease twease at ...1935...
Mon Jan 25 20:48:38 EST 2010

The reason this isn't allowed is because snort gets re-execed and will
need to open pcap again which requires root privileges.  You can try
compiling snort with --enable-reload, which will reload a new
configuration without execing, so doesn't require root privileges.