[Snort-users] snort not running as service

Sadanand Ghagare sadanandgh at ...11827...
Mon Jan 25 17:42:48 EST 2010

I was following step Configure WinIDS to run as a Service for winodws
sever 2003 with IIS 6 and MSSQL as per the steps on winsnort.com.
I can able to successfully add snort as service and make it Auto as
per the steps.
But when I restarted computer, snort service refused to start giving
follwing error:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( SnortService ) cannot
be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: e:\winids\snort\etc\snort.conf(514)
Unknown rule type: logfile.

Whether this error is anything to do with the follwoing line which I
have configured in snort .conf?
logfile { portscan.log }

--

Thanks & Regards