[Snort-users] Commercial Advanced Packet Sniffers, how do they do this? Application signatures?

Jason Brvenik jasonb at ...1935...
Sat Jan 23 15:40:16 EST 2010

Snort itself has had these capabilities for a long time and they have
been use for various purposes by all manner of folks.

The default VRT rules set has content-replace.rules that would be an
example of this usage. An example from that file (with details
removed) prevents inbound file transfers in AIM.

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"CONTENT-REPLACE AIM
deny in-bound file transfer attempts"; flow:to_client,established;
[...]; replace:"XXXX"; classtype:policy-violation; sid:12037; rev:2;)

The concept is simple once you understand the protocols involved.
Doing the proxy termination is not difficult either as long as you
have control of the clients.