[Snort-users] "Making Snort go fast under Linux..."

Mark W. Jeanmougin mark.jeanmougin at ...14628...
Thu Feb 25 08:25:31 EST 2010

Randy,

This is something that I struggle with as well.

I've been using just apache / wget and nfsd / dd as ways to generate
large loads.  The HUGE problem with this is that it is very
uninteresting traffic.  Using the above methods on my new workstations,
I can saturate a 10 Gbit / sec link consistently.

I do have a small library of malicious pcaps.  So, I'll use the previous
methods to generate a "background load" and then replay the pcaps on
another interface.

Finally, I have pcaps covering a few hours of "normal" network activity
from the locations where we have / will have IPS sensors.  So, I'll
replay those to see what gets caught.  The problem there is that the
contents of those pcaps are unknown; I don't know how much malicious
traffic is in there, nor what kinds of malice.

I'm really curious to see what others are doing in this world.  I think
this is a problem that many of us face.

Thanks,

MJ