[Snort-users] Unusual Snort performance stats

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at ...294...
Mon Feb 22 15:59:55 EST 2010

On 02/23/2010 05:29 AM, Matt Watchinski wrote:

> 1. Outstanding means that packets never got out of the ethernet card
> before they got dropped.  IE pcap didn't get to them before they
> disappeared.

Well that does my mind in. Can you explain to the uninitiated how snort
can know a packet was received by an Ethernet card, but then dropped
before it got out of the card?

Does that mean there are two ways to drop packets? Am I correct in
saying that "dropped packets" implies the OS (ie pcap) received the
packet but dropped it due to snort/userspace being too busy to extract
all the buffer within some time period, but "outstanding" is just as
bad? I've only ever noticed the "Dropped" field before :-(

> This stats means that some percentage of your traffic contains
> protocols that snort doesn't do anything with.  Tracking these down
> and add BPF's to ignore them could improve performance.

That's good advise we could all use I'm sure!

> 3. Are you using CPU affinity to lock the snort process to a specific
> CPU?  If not this is something to try.  If snort bounces to another
> CPU then the cache line is reset and performance can suffer.

Are you saying that there's real value in ensuring snort remains on the
same CPU - even over restarts? Why would the cache matter? I mean,
restarting snort means your IDS is deactivated until it's fully
operational again - does keeping it on the same CPU simply minimize that
outage, or do you mean something else.

Lots of yummy stuff in your message to chew on :-)

Jason

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417