[Snort-users] New rule 16433 - EXPLOIT Microsoft Active Directory LDAP query handling denial of service

Alex Kirk akirk at ...1935...
Fri Feb 19 10:09:00 EST 2010

Willst,

Thanks for the report. We're investigating a fix now, and will release one
as soon as feasible. We'll let you know once the fix has gone out.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Willst Mail <willstmail at ...11827...> wrote:

> The latest VRT signatures included rule 16433 "EXPLOIT Microsoft Active
> Directory LDAP query handling denial of service."  It looks to be examining
> traffic bound for ports 389 or 3268 containing a particular string in the
> content.  I don't recognize the string except that it looks like it might be
> part of an LDAP OID.  It is generating hundreds of alerts per hour destined
> for LDAP servers (AD and otherwise) from client machines.  I have not yet
> looked at packet captures but my first thought is that these are false
> positives.  Any idea what this rule is really meant to detect and what this
> string is meant to be?  I have not posted the string because I am not sure
> if the VRT subscription license considers it proprietary until the signature
> is released into the community release.
>
> Latest signatures:
> http://www.snort.org/vrt/docs/ruleset_changelogs/2_8/changes-2010-02-17.html
> MS bulletin re: LDAP vulnerability: