[Snort-users] Question about why/when VRT rules are commented out?

JJ Cummings cummingsj at ...11827...
Thu Feb 18 13:23:51 EST 2010

Andy,

if you look at the rule itself it has the balanced and security metadata
information defined.  These are the rulesets that this rule is defined to be
"enabled" in by default.  This metadata and capability to enable rules based
on such metadata is one of the reasons (and thusly features) that were built
into pulledpork.

The VRT reviews a number of factors when determining if a rule should be
enabled by default (in any base ruleset) and based on the result of this
evaluation (that includes factors such as rule overhead, known false
positive rate, impact, dispersion in the wild etc) the determination is made
as to default state and inclusion of the various metadata that defines
the respective (security, balanced or connectivity) based rulesets.

A description of these base rulesets can be found in the README.RULESET of
the current pulledpork tarball.

JJC