[Snort-users] How to determine which detection search method to use?

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Tue Feb 9 16:56:10 EST 2010

On Feb 9, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Andy Berryman wrote:

> How can you determine which search method you should use? Reason I'm asking is right now I don't have one specified in my snort.conf so it's using the default of "ac-bnfa"
>
> But, if I specify "ac-std" I run out of memory in 15 seconds. This box has 2gb of memory and snort is the only thing running on it.
>
> The standard "ac-bnfa" never seems to get above 10% when I run the "top" command. So does the ac-std really use that much more memory?

Yes.  ac-bnfa consumes much less memory.  2.8.6 has an even new search method which is even better as well.  Check out the README's on 2.8.6 to understand that one.

Joel Esler
302-223-5974