[Snort-users] How to determine which detection search method to use?

Andy Berryman aberryman at ...14758...
Tue Feb 9 16:48:53 EST 2010

How can you determine which search method you should use? Reason I'm asking is right now I don't have one specified in my snort.conf so it's using the default of "ac-bnfa"

But, if I specify "ac-std" I run out of memory in 15 seconds. This box has 2gb of memory and snort is the only thing running on it.

The standard "ac-bnfa" never seems to get above 10% when I run the "top" command. So does the ac-std really use that much more memory?

Thanks,
Andy Berryman