[Snort-users] Can't make snort create a core file when it segfaults.

Juergen Leising juergen.leising at ...348...
Mon Feb 8 18:14:41 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:08:55PM +0000, snort-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> From: Jason Brvenik <jasonb at ...1935...>
(...)
> How are you starting snort? Can you set ulimit on startup instead?
>
> I suspect it being reset is a function of limits.conf or /etc/profile
> or ... setting it

or on fedora/redhat based distros, there is a file

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

with a line

	corelimit="ulimit -S -c ${DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT:-0}"

so either replace the 0 by "unlimited" or set the
DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT in /etc/sysconfig/init

Another thought: Do you happen to run abrtd? If so, this should
have written something to the syslog, though. So probably not.

Bye, bye

Juergen.