[Snort-users] Rules and sensor management

Nigel Houghton nhoughton at ...1935...
Mon Feb 8 16:15:35 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at ...14358...> wrote:
> I'm looking for something that can manage rules and conf files on multiple
> sensors.  I do *not* want something that automagically fetches the vrt rules
> and uses oinkmaster to maintain the rules, because that's not what I'm doing on
> these particular sensors.
>
> I looked at IDS Policy Manager, which looked promising (even though it's
> written for Windows only), but the dang thing doesn't work.  I can't browse to
> my hard drive and load my existing rules, conf file and other files.
>
> It doesn't have to be a dumbed down GUI.
>
> Buehler????
>
> --
> Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst
> As if it wasn't already obvious, my opinions
> are my own and not those of my employer.
> "It is as useless to argue with those who have
> renounced the use of reason as to administer
> medication to the dead." Thomas Jefferson

Like cvs or subversion or similar?

How about rsync?

A package maybe?

Might help if you actually stated what it is you are trying to do
*exactly*, if it were me I'd be using pulled pork or oinkmaster and
pointing it to a local master server. I might also look into doing
rsync for local boxes too, so I could ensure the same rules/configs go
to the appropriate boxes.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist