[Snort-users] Snort dying

Mon Feb 8 10:12:52 EST 2010

I've seen this happen in 2 different cases...

1) If you have a system with less than 2GB RAM try setting "config
detection: search-method lowmem" in your snort.conf. If that solves
the problem you can play around with the different detection options
to see which one works for you.

2) Precompiled So rules: If you are using precompiled SO rules try
picking a different distro or turning them off completely just to see
if that is the problem. I have seen a couple of times where snort
would start fine, but then bomb out a couple of hours later. I started
using SO rules for a different distro and the problem went away.

Wally