[Snort-users] New to Snort; Unable to download VRT Certified Rules

Russell Fulton r.fulton at ...3809...
Mon Feb 8 02:48:07 EST 2010

On 8/02/2010, at 6:17 PM, <ladytechieguruness at ...14763...> <ladytechieguruness at ...14763...> wrote:

> Ray and others,
>
> It WAS the "registered users release" I was attempting to download, NOT
> the subscribers. BOTH say "VRT Certified" and the "new" rules are new than
> what I assume are in the latest release of the Snort program itself. I hope
> that's clearer. Thanks.

you may be running foul of the system that stops people from downloading the rules too often.  I had a system that did a HEAD on the file to see if it had changed and then downloaded it if it had.  The download always failed with a 403.

Leave it a while and see if the problem still persists.

Depending on your needs you should also look at the Emerging Threats rule sets -- find with google...

Russell