[Snort-users] New to Snort; Unable to download VRT Certified Rules

Nick Moore nmoore at ...1935...
Sun Feb 7 22:13:19 EST 2010

LTG,

There are two sets of rules on snort.org: VRT Subscription and registered
user. The subscription rules are for charge and are up to date; the
registered user rules are delayed by 30 days, but are free. The registered
rules still require a user name and password, so you'll have to log on to
get them. Using these rules should be fine for a proof of concept.

The difference between the files are pretty straightforward: if there is a
trailing _s before the .tar.gz, those are the subscription rules, e.g.
snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT_s.tar.gz<http://dl.snort.org/sub-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT_s.tar.gz>
.

Once you have a username and login, you can download rules automatically
with Oinkmaster. Please see http://oinkmaster.sourceforge.net/ for more info
on this.

Happy snorting!

-
Nick Moore, SFCE, CISSP, CISA
Sr. Systems Engineer
Voice 708-336-9041
Email nick.moore at ...1935...
IM    nickgmoore (Yahoo)
      nickgmoore38 (AIM)

   ,,_
  o"  )~   Sourcefire - The Creators of Snort
   ''''

www.sourcefire.com         www.snort.org
On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM, <ladytechieguruness at ...14763...> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I downloaded Snort but haven't been able to successfully download the VRT
> Certified Rules since each time I attempt to download the new rules, I get
> the following error message:
>
> "403 Forbidden

> Please make sure you're logged into Snort.org.
>
> If you are logged into Snort.org, you may need a VRT subscription to access
> this file."
>

> When I copy and paste the link to the download into one of my download
> accelerators, they can't download the rules, either. I've been trying since
> yesterday.
>
> I won't purchase a subscription until I see that Snort is the correct
> choice for me. Is there another way to access the rules? Can I copy them
> from  into a text file or batch file and install them that way?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> LTG

Nick Moore, SFCE, CISSP, CISA
Sr. Systems Engineer