[Snort-users] Multiple instances of snort on the same server?

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Thu Feb 4 18:19:10 EST 2010

Yes, it's quite possible to run multiple instances of Snort.  You can bridge
interfaces and sniff the bridge, or you can have an instance of Snort for
however many interfaces you have with different "-i" tags.  You should have
multiple instances of the snort.conf, one for each of your interfaces.

The thing to remember is, Snort is not multicore aware, so therefore won't
be able to take advantages of a whole bunch of cores.  Lots of RAM, of
course, is good.

Just use your perfstats preprocessor to keep an eye on how many packets you
drop (if any).  Dropped packets = missed traffic = non detection = bad.

Joel

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Chan, Wilson <wchan at ...14702...> wrote:

>  Anyone has a HowTo guide on running multiple instances of snort on the
> same server? I have a new server that has 8 nics and looking to run a few
> snort instances to make use of the high speed server and dual quad cores.
> Thanks!
>

> *Wilson *

Joel Esler