[Snort-users] Snort 2.9 & DAQ Issues (daq_static)

Russ Combs rcombs at ...1935...
Wed Aug 18 14:58:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Korodev <korodev at ...11827...> wrote:

> Having an issue with the latest 2.9 Beta and DAQ on FreeBSD 8.1. I
> have downloaded the DAQ source, configured, compiled, and installed ok
> with no errors but when I try to install snort I get the following
> error:
>
> > checking for daq_load_modules in -ldaq_static... no
> >
> >    ERROR!  daq_static library not found, go get it from
> >    http://www.snort.org/.

Is daq-modules-config on your path?  If not add it and try again.  If that
fails please send your config.log.

> I confirmed the DAQ libraries and includes are in their appropriate
> location and even passed them manually to snort with no avail. I ended
> up getting snort to compile by configuring with --disable-static-daq.
> Once compiled I'm unable to start snort unless I give it
> --daq-dir=/usr/local/lib/daq. Otherwise it complains about not being
> able to find the pcap DAQ.

This is as designed.  Snort needs a DAQ, and if none aren't built in, in
your case due to the above, you need to tell Snort where to find the DAQ.