[Snort-users] how to create testing data files??

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Sat Aug 14 19:44:29 EDT 2010

On 8/14/2010 16:31, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 20:35, waldo kitty<wkitty42 at ...14940...>  wrote:
>> how can we create data files and test rules without having to create pcaps? i've
>> tried creating a file with some test strings in it and feeding it to snort via
>> the various pcap reading methods but snort always whines "bad dump file format"
>> and quits...
>>
>> the snort 2.8.6.1 manual specifically states, in section 1.7.2 at the bottom of
>> page 16...
>>
>> [quote] Note that Snort will not try to determine whether the files under that
>> directory are really pcap files or not. [/quote]
>>
>> that indicates that we can create a "text" file and feed it to snort... what am
>> i missing??
>
> Try rule2alert (https://code.google.com/p/rule2alert/), which will
> generate a pcap file for the rule you provide.

well, i've been playing and have run into a "problem" with rule2alert... that
problem being that it generates the /minimal/ data package that will cause the
rule to alert... what i'm actually needing is something that will generate the
"maximal" data package...

consider this rule...

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"distance with testing"; content:"ABC";
content:"EFG"; distance:1; within:10; sid:60000001; rev:1;)

and these data strings...

ABCxEFG
ABCx1234567EFG
ABCx12345678EFG
ABCx123456789EFG
ABCx1234567890EFG

which is the first one that will NOT alert?

the data package that rule2alert is creating for the above rule is (effectively)
the first string but there's a question (on another list) concerning if within
takes into account the distance or not...

also, there's a question in the above of if the within content must /all/ reside
within or if it must only /start/ within...

does that make sense?