[Snort-users] [Secureideas-base-devel] BASE 1.5.x and moving forward

Randal T. Rioux randy at ...13561...
Tue Aug 10 12:01:12 EDT 2010

On 8/10/2010 8:14 AM, will at ...14962... wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to solicite assistance and advice from the BASE community
> with regards for setting requirements for the BASE 2.0 release. Since
> taking over the project from Kevin I have been reviewing the code and have
> found that moving forward, it will probably be best for us to rewrite the
> engine from scratch. While this may be a large project in the short term
> in the long term I feel the current code is
> unmaintainable and a new codebase will allow us to easily integrate new
> features (like IPv6 support) when the time comes.
>
> The last release in the 1.5.X release chain will be 1.5.5, which will
> contain the patches for BASE to run under PHP 5.3. The 1.5.5 release will
> still include the Pear::Image and Pear::Graph functionality that is broken
> under PHP5.3. If someone wants to develop a work around or patch for this
> then I welcome your efforts, but I will be focusing on the 2.0 release.
>
> I would like to solicit assistance from developers who would like to help
> with BASE 2.0. In the coming days I will be sending more emails to the
> secureideas-base-devel mailing list. If you are interested please contact
> me for more details. I hope that BASE can continue to be a flexible
> enterprise snort analysis console.

Greetings, Will. Welcome to the team!

I, as I'm sure others are as well, am anxious to get the foundation for
2.0 started. We should begin by drafting a list of features both
required and desired for the new codebase, along with a roadmap.

We should also re-org the developer roster. So those interested should
wave their hands vociferously! And we may want to include some new folks
wishing to participate. I've cc'd the Snort-users list for that purpose,
as well as to get suggestions from the community as to what they'd like
to see in the new BASE.

So, who's in?! :-)

Thanks,
Randy